Monday, October 22, 2007

Hate to say I told you so..

While I didn't come out and state that I thought the Red Sox would come back from a 3-1 series defecit to claim the AL pennent, had you read the post regarding the ALCS, you would've had the impression that was my premonition. As it turns out, my gut feeling was right and the damn Red Sox are moving on to the World Series for the second time in four years. While watching Red Sox Nation celebrate another improbable comeback at Fenway last night was horrific and stomach turning, it did not come as a surprise. Ever since the Red Sox fell behind 3-0 to the Yankees four Octobers ago, they have rallied behind their leader, Manny Ramirez (I know its crazy, but stay with me), and his ridiculous "I don't care if we lose, there's always next year" demeanor. It's this attitude that keeps the Sox clubhouse loose, yet quietly confident, in times of desperation while other teams try to put them away and ultimatly fail because they don't know how to deal with the pressure of the moment. There's a saying in sports that says a teams personality comes from their captain and their coach. If that is the case, then you would have to say that Man-Ram is the unquestioned leader of the Red Sox because they all take on his personality in times of trouble. And did you hear any of the players or coaches respond negatively last week when Manny came out and said "if we lose it's not the end of the world, there's always next year?" No, you didn't, because, thanks to Manny, they all felt the same way!

I believe the Red Sox have something the Yankees have lost and something that teams like the Indians and Rockies are searching for: a champions swagger. The Yankees of old used to play just like these Red Sox, where determination, not "I don't care," pushed them to four World Series titles in six years. They had a swagger about them where they knew no matter the score or situation that they would not be denied. They have since lost that swagger as the new age Yankees curl up into a ball whenever adversity hits them in October, which has been in the first inning of Game 1 of the ALDS the past 3 years. My point is, the Red Sox clubhouse probably felt they only had to win one game to win that series when they trailed 3-1, and that was game 5 in Cleveland. You just knew that based on the fact alone that the Indians are from Cleveland that they would fold and the fans would burn down the city in response. The Indians couldn't handle the pressure that the Red Sox handle so well, or just pay no attention to at all, and that is why they are going back to the October Classic.

As for my World Series prediction, I'd first like to say that it was difficult to pick against either team because the Rockies are the hottest team on earth in any sport right now. In fact, if the Rockies were to play football on a neutral field against the Patriots, I would pick the Rockies. However, you would have to think the Red Sox go into this series with the momentum because they have been playing and playing well, outscoring Cleveland 30-5 in the final three games. On the flip side the Rockies will have been off for eight days by the time Game 1 rolls around. I don't see the Rockies pitchers dominating the Red Sox line up the way they did the Phillies and DBacks, and I think their week off will effect their rythem at the play. Sadly, I don't see this series getting back to Fenway, but I do see the Rockies getting a game, which will end the streak of three straight World Series ending in sweeps. I have the Sox in 5 and, as a result, a stomach ulcer.

GO ROCKIES,
DTM